It’s a little later than promised – so much to post about this month! – but here is my own personal Tarot reading offering insight into general trends from September through to the end of October (Samhain in the Celtic calendar).
Do feel free to offer your comments, no experience required 🙂
1. The Inquirer In The Present ~ The Knight Of Wands.
In my previous spread for Lughnasadh The Ten Of Swords appeared in the first position depicting an unhappy soul trapped in a box of swords. I am – for want of a better expression – clearly out of my box! The Knight stands at a crossroad. He can be gullible and prone to hastiness. He is brandishing a brilliant idea but has no idea where to go or what to do with it.
2. Past Influences ~ The Four Of Wands.
Work and domestic partnerships have dominated since Midsummer. Stability is important but sometimes stifling. The Knight Of Wands suggests it is time for a (cautious) breakthrough adventure.
Cards 3,4 and 5 represent the “inner” portion of the spread; pertaining to personal thoughts and feelings.
3. Subconscious Influences ~ The Seven Of Pentacles.
At Midsummer this card appeared in position 7 – The Surrounding Environment. This tells me I am powerfully influenced by external circumstances, perhaps too much. The Seven represents traditional feminine wants and needs, the virtue of patience and the comfort promised by practical and material success.
4. Secret Wishes & Desires ~ The Two Of Pentacles.
The desire to be an effortless multi-tasker! Pentacles frequently dominate the 3 and 4 positions in my spreads; a constant reminder that I can get “stuck-in-the-mud” with earthy practical issues whilst harbouring the potential to turn myself into a piggy bank! (Would someone give me a shake or fetch a hammer, please?)
5. Hidden Forces ~ Temperance.
This Major Arcana card feels like a blessing! If The Two Of Pentacles (4) represents a struggle for balance in the mundane world then Temperance represents enlightenment through achieving balance in a metaphysical sense. Temperance takes all the elements of a life; home, family, work, friends, romance, dreams, etc. and creates a potent chemical reaction by re-combining them for a better result. Harmony through endeavour is on my side.
6. Events To Come ~ The Six Of Cups.
This card appeared in exactly the same position in my last spread! It represents a “blast from the past” and it would seem to refer to a very specific joyous event.
Cards 7,8 and 9 represent the “external” portion of the spread; pertaining to the world about me.
7. The Surrounding Environment ~ The Magician.
Balance is a recurring theme throughout this reading. The Magician is discovering how to utilise his skills to effect his environment in a positive way.
He must learn to see past the illusions of negative influence and there is a warning here not to allow external circumstances to crush inner serenity.
8. The Influence Of Others ~ The Eight Of Pentacles.
This card might be called “The Apprentice” (The Magician is a kind of apprentice too!) I have definitely begun a new and exciting project but I could benefit greatly from the right mentors, guides and teachers.
9. Spiritual Forces ~ Death.
I have a very healthy relationship with Death. In my last reading Death was my Final Outcome (position 10) the transformation that allowed me to break out of that box (see above 1. The Knight Of Wands). The power to maintain and continue this transformation now surrounds me alongside that other great Force: Temperance. The Magician and the apprentice nearby suggest the beginnings of radical change through hard work.
10. The Final Outcome ~ The Hierophant (drawn upside down).
Another Major Arcana card hammers home that October is an important time for me. Death and The Hierophant side-by-side represent a profound transformation of beliefs and the opportunity to be truly unorthodox.
Undergoing trials with temperance leads to wisdom and balance. We must not shun or fear change because it is new and hard.
- Tarology; The Poetics of Tarot (mycuriouscabinet.wordpress.com)
- Language of the Birds in Manhattan (moderndayruth.net)
- How’s Tarot Changing My Life (fudohmp.wordpress.com)
- The Wheel of the Year: why 8 observances? (spinningofthewheel.wordpress.com)
- Dare You Enter The Arcade Of Arts & Arcana? (lilywight.com)
- Tarot Tuesdays- Steampunk Spirituality (thepurplebroom.wordpress.com)
- Lily Wight’s Lughnasadh Tarot Spread With Deviant Moon (lilywight.com)