Patrick Valenza’s Deviant Moon Tarot in the Lunatic Spread read by Lily Wight for The Arcade of Arts & Arcana (Winter).
Begin centre-left and proceed anti-clockwise;
1. The Four of Cups (inverted)
2. The Ace of Wands
3. The Ten of Swords (inverted)
4. The Six of Pentacles (inverted)
5. THE HANGED MAN (inverted)
6. The Four of Swords (inverted)
7. The Queen of Swords (inverted)
8. The Eight of Cups
9. The Five of Swords (inverted)
10. The Ten of Wands (inverted)
There is only one Major Arcana card suggesting The Enquirer is guiding current circumstances. The Hanged Man appeared previously right-side up as a subconscious influence, now he is inverted in the external environment. His role is evolving, balance is reasserting and The Hanged Man’s control is waning.
The number of inverted cards is unusually high so a situation is currently at tipping point or in the process of being turned on its head.
The Suit of Swords dominates throughout the spread suggesting the last stage of effort in action or crisis.
The Enquirer’s favourite/personal card, The Eight of Cups appears (mirroring another Cup – or Heart – card in position 1.) This reading involves an important emotional matter-of-the-heart for The Enquirer.
The Ace of Wands also appeared in the previous spread. Its motivational influence has now moved into the past.
There is only one Court Card, or significant “other”, in this spread. The Queen of Swords is a frequent negative visitor for this Enquirer but her influence has waned.
Card By Card
1. The Enquirer / The Present ~ The Four of Cups (inverted)
Realise the need to drop all that has proved disappointing. This is not a failure but an opportunity to grasp a bright new outlook. Consolidate new and better emotional foundations.
2. Past Influences ~ The Ace of Wands
A recent burst of creative energy has already instigated a new productive cycle in work and social activities.
3. Subconscious Influences (internal/unknown) ~ The Ten of Swords (inverted)
A final surge of courage is required to break traps of defeat and betrayal and gain the edge over old problems. Stop expecting the worst, turn away from unpleasantness and achieve the freedom to rebuild self-confidence.
4. Secret Wishes & Desires ~ The Six of Pentacles (inverted)
A practical wish to be more selfish and less generous with a desire for more control and quicker gratification. Live in the now!
5. Hidden Forces (external/unknown) ~ THE HANGED MAN (inverted)
The Enquirer is no longer hanging but still tethered. Emotional blackmail forces masochism so fight restraints imposed by the past, the self and others.
6. Events To Come ~ The Four of Swords (inverted)
Activity will begin with renewed vigour when The Enquirer accepts that problems will always exist and success is measured not by solving them but by how they are dealt with. The world outside starts to look more appealing; wake up Sleeping Beauty and be your own hero!
7. Surrounding Environment ~ The Queen of Swords (inverted)
The Enquirer has tolerated this manipulative schemer to keep the peace but boundaries have at last been set to block her controlling nature and negativity.
8. The Influence Of Others ~ The Eight of Cups
Self-awareness minimises external influences and builds the courage to make better choices. Move on, follow the heart’s desire and seek a truer path.
9. Spiritual Forces (upon the environment) ~ The Five of Swords (inverted)
The Enquirer will part from their troubles when a false friend is exposed and disarmed for the sake of peace and harmony. What feels like a loss is truly a success. Protect yourself on the road to self-reliance.
10. The Final Outcome ~ The Ten of Swords (inverted)
There are inherent difficulties in completing the old and starting the new simultaneously. Forget patience, release excess burdens and responsibilities and rush to your goals. A new beginning is tantalisingly close.